I can’t lie. This unit has been done for months now. I worked on it right after I finished up the bed (you can see it here). But I ran into a problem with cords, lots and lots of cords. They were all just hanging there under the desk. After all my hard work to create a desk and a space for my daughter to display all of her knick-knacks and photos, it was a little frustrating to be so let down by a jumble of cords. Which is why I walked away from it for awhile and then a few weeks later the solution hit me like a ton of bricks. It was one of those “DUH. Why didn’t you think of that before?” moments. What was the brilliant solution you ask…add a modesty panel.
After my realization I added the modesty panel you can see in front of her chair and viola! all the cords disappeared. Well, it wasn’t really that easy. It did take some additional steps to properly organize everything behind the panel. To start the clean up I used some little cup hooks screwed into the underside of the desk to hold all the longer cords up behind the panel. I also added a couple screws to the wall, so that I could hang the 6 plug outlet too. I would have preferred to make the panel a little shorter, but the cable jack sits low on the wall so it seemed silly to cover everything else and leave that showing. An adult can still sit at the desk without any knees bumping, so all is good in my book. *And, no it doesn’t usually look this neat and organized. There are usually things scattered everywhere from the desk down, but my daughter is gone visiting family this summer which made this the perfect opportunity to do a little cleanup and snap some photos.
I used two different plans to come up with this configuration. The bottom is based off the narrow mod-bookcase shelves from Ana-White and the top is based off this shelving unit from Sawdust Girl. I made a boo-boo on the top bookshelf measurements that I didn’t realize until it was way too late to correct. Like putting all the pieces together in her room too late. The top bookshelf is the same measurement as the the entire width of the base unit, instead of the width of bottom unit minus the trim. That mistake makes the top shelf a couple inches wider than it should be. It’s not something that someone who didn’t know about it would really notice and my daughter could care less, but it irks me every time I look at the unit full on.
The entire unit stands at 6′ feet tall and 7′ feet long. The desk is a little over 17″ inches deep, so she has plenty of room to draw, play dolls, make bracelets and her new favorite – put on makeup (why do they want to grow up so fast?!). The desk top is stained in my new favorite stain ‘Espresso’ from Minwax. I so love the rich dark brown. To protect the stain I put 3 coats of poly in a semi-gloss finish (also from minwax).
And, that leaves her room pretty much done. Although, I do think I want to add a narrow line of cubbies along the back of the desk between the two bookcases. She has tons of different colors, markers, stencils, beads and other smaller artsy crafty stuff that she needs to be able to store, but still have easy access too. If I can get the rest of the room cleaned up, I may even do a full room reveal. I have a couple weeks left before she comes home, so we’ll see if the urge to clean strikes before my little tornado returns.