Isn’t it strange how something as simple as patching a few small holes can turn into a week long project?? That’s what happened this past weekend when I went into my daughter’s room with the intention of just filling a few small nail/screw holes in the wall before moving her new bunk bed into the room (another DIY project I will share soon). The job was simple enough. Fill the holes with patch compound let it dry and then cover with matching spare paint . Yeah, it sounds so simple.
All the holes patched up easy enough, but it was in the paint cover up that I hit a snag. I keep a lot of paint out in the garage and that turned out to be a big no-no after the ridiculously cold temperatures this winter. It wasn’t until I went out to grab the paint and couldn’t find the little bit of a gallon leftover, that I realized I had already thrown it out a month or so ago when all the frozen paint pots were discovered. Uh, brilliant.
So this once simple job turned into decision time. Try to get more of the paint already on the walls (a color I custom mixed from oops paint at home last summer) by scraping some of it off the wall or bite the bullet and completely redo the paint in her room a.g.a.i.n. Third time is a charm, right? I finally decided if money was going to be spent on paint then it should be something that my daughter would love. She was okay with the muted purple/lavender, but from all the paint chip browsing we had done in the past I knew she wanted something more vibrant (she’s only 6 but very sure of what she likes and doesn’t like).
This is paint color before or at least a close representation. Blue and purples always photograph so weird.
Do you like the chaos of her room? I’d like to pretend that it looks like that because we had already started moving things around, but it would be a big fat lie. I like to call my daughter the tornado. She leaves giant messes in her wake. HUGE. Anyways, after a lot of clearing out and disassembling it was time to put some new color on the walls.
One of her requests was to have an accent wall with stripes of different colors, so I added that to the do list. I really did want this to be the last time I painted her room for a long, long time to come. Can you feel the amount of work piling up yet? I know I can.
Fast forward several days later…This is her newly painted room after days of taping, painting, waiting and then repeat. Only the one wall is striped the other three are all solid green. Oh and the ceiling was also painted the same white as the those stripes. It had been the lovely builder’s beige, but there was no way I could leave it alone once that bright white was up on the walls. The white almost made the ceiling look dirty. What is one more trip to Home Depot and another hour or two of painting anyway, right??
Crazy different, isn’t it. Vibrant and girly rolled into one. My daughter loves it (as I mentioned before she loves green), the two different shades of pink made her squeal with delight. She even “helped” some with the stripe painting. I love how they turned out too, but man-oh-man were they a ton work. Lots of taping and waiting. The drawing of the lines was probably the easiest part.
I know there are a lot of tutorials out there on painting stripes, so I will only share a few tips that helped me create these mamas. We have textured walls, so it was very important (I stress very important) that after the stripe was taped, but before painting the chosen color of the stripe, to paint the neighboring color along the inside edge of the tape first. Let that dry to the touch and then paint the actual stripe color. Otherwise the stripes would not have the nice crisp lines when the painter’s tape is removed. The texturing on the walls will allow the paint to bleed through no matter how well the line is taped. Does that make sense? For an example, I’ll use that single stripe on the far right in the photo. After the green paint was dry, I taped off the stripe. Before I painted it “Sugar Plum”, I painted a thin layer of green along the inside edge of the tape on both sides. This layer of green keeps the next layer from leaking under the tape.
Another great tip is to use the sensitive painter’s tape. This allowed me to tape off the strips after 24 hours instead of several days. I am usually a frog tape fan, but could only find 3M Scotch blue painter’s tape at HD so I used that and it worked great. I used the regular multi-surface tape for the first round and switched to the sensitive once I was taping over new paint.
My last tip…have patience. It had been awhile since I had painted anything with quite so many colors involved and all that paint drying time adds up. All you can do is wait. Being a girl with little patience it was difficult to walk away from an unfinished wall several days in a row, when I just wanted it DONE. But, having patience paid off and the finished product looks great.
With the walls done, done, done I could finally move her new bunk beds into the room. Only 3 or 4 days later than planned…